This post continues below the photo!
Things You’ll Notice Before You Board
Seeing the plane approach the gate, you’ll notice just two things.
- The plane is small. It’s a medium-range jet and it’s smaller than a Boeing 737 but larger than a regional jet, such as an Embraer.
- The engines! Such a small plane has such incredible power. These engines are large but don’t be fooled. It’s such a quiet jet.
Things You’ll Notice When You Board
Once you board the aircraft, you’ll instantly notice some impressive features
- The first thing you’ll notice is how bright and airy the plane feels. The windows are larger compared to some planes and the aircraft is well ventilated, which helps create a more comfortable environment.
- Walking in the Economy section, you’ll notice that there aren’t many middle seats. The plane is configured as 2×3 in the economy section, which means fewer chances for getting a dreaded middle seat.
- Larger overhead space. More space for more bags which makes the boarding process faster and easier.
Things You’ll Notice In Flight
After getting comfortable, it’s time to take off! Here are some of the things you’ll notice from taxiing to reaching 10,000 feet.
- You’ve seen the large engines, but you don’t really hear them. Taking off in this jet is a breeze. The powerful engines are exclusively powered by Pratt and Whitney. Take off literally blew me away because of how quiet and smooth it was.
- It won’t be harder to see out the window, as the windows on the A220 are larger, giving you a better view of the world around.
Other features this jet has to offer. One of the most exciting and cool perks of this plane lies in the bathroom in the rear of the plane. Located on the left (or right if you’re walking to the back), is the restroom, but it has a window! Probably one of the most scenic restrooms you’ll ever walk in. Once we boarded, I put my backpack down and went straight to the back. The flight attendant knew exactly where I was going and we both laughed about it.
LED ambient lighting and ultra-fast Wi-Fi is also a major plus. The seats also have seatback entertainment screens with hours of entertainment. Unfortunately, the screens were not working on our flight, but it was a short journey so I didn’t pay any mind.
The A220 is a definite game-changer to the aviation industry. I’ll never forget my first ride and I believe everyone should take a flight on this plane at least once, whether you’re an avgeek or a first-time flier.